I did it. I finally polished off our Costco bag of quinoa. I was scraping the bottom of the bag for these pancakes. Pancakes seemed like a good way to bid adieu to the 5 pounds of ancient healthy grain that has been looming over my head to use up for the past 9 months (or maybe it’s been a year even . . .).
Turns out that while quinoa is a great, nutritious grain and source of protein, I don’t love it. There I said it. Maybe I should scream it, “I DON’T LOVE QUINOA.” Perhaps it was because I pretty much had to solely ingest 5 pounds of it since no one else in our house seems to like it very much (even in granola or cookies . . .). Either way, I’m glad to have that off my chest and out of my pantry for the time being.
So now that I’ve told you about how I don’t love quinoa, I’m sure you are eager to read on and see how to make some pancakes with it! For the handful of you that are still reading, here’s a great gluten-free and dairy-free pancake recipe to utilize some quinoa (it’s a great way to use up some leftover quinoa!).
Quinoa Pancakes (adapted from here)
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup coconut milk (could be flavored or unflavored)
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla flavored coconut milk)
3 teaspoons baking powder (by all my research this is gluten free, but please correct me if I’m wrong)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a blender, combine the quinoa, eggs, milk, honey, oil and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the baking powder and salt to blender and blend again for about a minute.
3. Cook batter in greased skillet, flipping once bubbles rise from the middle and batter has firmed up (about 3-5 minutes a side).
Top with your favorite fruit and syrup!
And in case you needed some other ways to use a 5 pound bag of quinoa . . . .
- Quinoa Broccoli Cheddar Bites
- Quinoa Caprese Salad
- Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast Parfait
- Quinoa Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Sugar Free Quinoa Granola
Don’t forget to enter my Ergobaby swaddler giveaway :)